The 9/11 Big Lie Gets Even Bigger
By Bob Baldwin
May 11, 2011
“[I]n the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation.” ~ Adolf Hitler, 1925, Mein Kampf
The President’s Address
On May 1, 1945, radio broadcasts throughout Germany were interrupted by the announcement that Adolf Hitler had died “heroically” earlier that day, “fighting to the last breath against Bolshevism.”1 Sixty-six years later to the day, prime time television and radio broadcasts in the United States were interrupted with a special announcement that President Obama would be giving a major address to the nation at around 10:30 pm. No reason was given. Had someone died? Was President Obama, like LBJ in 1968 going to announce that he was not seeking re-election? The country was kept in suspense. As 10:30 came and went, rumors began circulating that Osama bin Laden, the ever elusive terrorist leader blamed for 9/11, had been killed.
At 11:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, after keeping the nation waiting, the President finally made his appearance. Dramatically he announced that Osama bin Laden, the Al Qaeda terrorist leader “responsible for the murders of thousands of innocent men, women and children,” had been killed following a firefight at his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. According to the President, Obama’s body had been retrieved and was in the custody of U.S. military forces.2
Toppling “Osama’s Statue” in front of the White House
Immediately following Obama’s speech, hundreds of students from George Washington and Howard Universities descended on Lafayette Park across from the White House, chanting, U.S.A., U.S.A! A similar outpouring took place at Ground Zero in New York City.
According to investigative reporter and former NSA analyst, Wayne Madsen, the reason for President Obama’s long delay in making his announcement was not for reasons of national security, but rather to provide time to organize students on the campuses for this “spontaneous” demonstration. Citing unnamed sources, Madsen claims David Plouffe, Obama’s political adviser, was behind the operation and that students were provided with brand new American flags.3
If Madsen’s allegations are true, the crowd in front of the White House was reminiscent of the crowd of Iraqi civilians who joined U.S Marines in toppling Saddam Hussein’s statue in Baghdad. Later it was revealed that the “spontaneous” outpouring had been a staged intelligence operation.4
Suspicious Burial at Sea
Nowhere in the President’s remarks was there any mention that the body of Osama bin Laden had been hastily buried at sea. That revelation would come after the President’s speech. When this astonishing detail was later revealed, the excuse given by the White House for the hasty burial at sea was to show respect for Islamic custom, which requires bodies to be buried within 24 hours of death. According to the White House, bin Laden’s body had been washed and given a 45 minute funeral onboard the aircraft carrier, USS Carl Vinson, before being dropped into the sea. Other reasons given for the sea burial were that no other country would take bin Laden’s body and they did not want to bury him on land for fear his grave would become a terrorist shrine.
Many observers familiar with Muslim custom have noted that under Islam, a Muslim is only buried at sea if he or she dies during a voyage away from land. A proper Muslim burial requires that the deceased be buried in the ground with their head facing Mecca.
Considering all the controversy and “conspiracy theories” surrounding the events of 9/11, it’s amazing that not one reporter, commentator, or news anchor of any significance within the corporate media at any level from prime time television to the supermarket tabloids even so much as raised an eyebrow at this remarkable revelation. It was as if the mainstream media had been transformed into The Stepford Wives, incapable of independent thought. Had they all forgotten about past government deceptions, such as, the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and the non-existent “weapons of mass destruction” in Iraq?
The Story Changes
On Monday, the day after the president’s address, President Obama’s Deputy National Security Advisor, John Brennan, gave a briefing for reporters at the White House. According to Brennan, Osama bin Laden had cowardly used his wife as a human shield during a firefight with a Special Forces team. The Washington Times quoted Brennan as saying:
“Here is bin Laden, who has been calling for these attacks, living in this million-dollar-plus compound, living in an area that is far removed from the front, hiding behind women who were put in front of him as a shield…”5
According to Brennan, Bin Laden’s wife and two other men were killed during a firefight between the terrorists and special forces team.6
No sooner had Brennan finished his press conference, than the original story began to unravel. The following day, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney “clarified” Brennan’s remarks. According to Carney, bin Laden was not armed and had not used his wife as a human shield.7
Another statement from Brennan that would later be refuted was that the President and top advisers had watched the raid on the compound in real-time from the White House Situation Room via cameras mounted on the helmets of the Navy Seal team. A photograph showing an ashen President Obama and Hillary Clinton with her hand to her mouth, as though she had just witnessed something ghastly, was released to the public.
Photo of President and senior advisers in the White House Situation Room being briefed about the raid in Abbottabad, Pakistan. Photo by White House photographer Pete Souza.
Later it would be revealed that the photograph was of the President and his advisers watching a televised briefing about the raid given by CIA Director Leon Panetta, who was away at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. The following day, Panetta admitted that there had been a 25-minute blackout during the raid and that the President and his staff had not witnessed Osama bin Laden being killed.8
Adding to the confusion, Brennan had stated, during his press conference the previous day, that Osama’s son Khalid was killed during the raid. A White House transcript of Brennan’s press conference listed the son as Hamza bin Laden. When Carney was asked about the various discrepancies, he said, “Even I’m getting confused.”9
Osama Raid Conveniently Vindicates Use of Torture
It’s interesting that John Brennan, Obama’s senior counter terrorism expert, couldn’t get the story straight. At the time Obama chose him to be the administration’s Counter Terrorism Czar, Brennan was considered a controversial pick. During the Bush Administration, Brennan had been a leading advocate of the CIA’s extraordinary rendition program.
During an interview with reporter Margaret Warner on the News Hour with Jim Lehrer on December 5, 2005, Brennan was asked if he thought extraoridinary rendition was “a vital tool in combating terrorism.” He responded, “I think it's an absolutely vital tool. I have been intimately familiar now over the past decade with the cases of rendition that the U.S. Government has been involved in. And I can say without a doubt that it has been very successful as far as producing intelligence that has saved lives.”10
Considering this history, perhaps it’s no surprise that the Obama Administration is now crediting the CIA’s program of extraordinary rendition with helping to locate Osama bin Laden. According to the Huffington Post, a courier for bin Laden was identified as a result of interrogations of Khalid Sheihk Mohammed and Abu Faraj al-Libi. It was through a phone call the courier made to someone already under surveillance that eventually allowed the CIA to locate the courier. By following him, they were eventually able to locate bin Laden’s compound. Interestingly, Khalid Sheihk Mohammed did not reveal the courier’s name as a result of his 183 waterboardings, but as a result of routine interrogation.11
According to author Ron Suskind, the waterboardings weren’t the only pressure put on Khalid Sheihk Mohammed. He had been threatened by the CIA that if he didn’t talk they would injure his children, a girl and a boy aged 9 and 7 years old. He still refused to cooperate. He is reported to have said, “You can do what you want to my children, and they will find a better place with Allah.”12
President Refuses to Release Photo of Dead bin Laden
On the Tuesday following the President’s announcement about Osama bin Laden, CIA Director Leon Panetta told reporters that he believed that photos taken of bin Laden’s corpse would “eventually be released.”
The following day, however, the President told Steve Kroft of CBS’s 60 Minutes that he had decided not to release the photos for fear that the gruesome images might incite violence and be used by Al Qaeda as a tool for recruitment.
Almost immediately, following the announcement of bin Laden’s death, a photograph purported to be his corpse began circulating over the Internet. Even after it was discovered to be a fake, the London Telegraph and Daily Mail continued to run with it.13
This gruesome image purported to be a photo of Osama bin Laden, taken after the raid on his compound in Abbottabad, circulated on the Internet briefly until astute observers noted that it was a forgery. See photos below, showing how it was faked:
Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and a number of Republican Senators were shown this faked photo in what he described as an official briefing. Brown told reporters afterwards that the image was too gruesome to release to the public, that it would inflame the terrorists. Later he admitted that the photo he had been shown was a hoax. According to Brown, it was the same photo that was floating around the Internet. When questioned, he refused to elaborate as to who gave the “official briefing.” 14
When did Osama bin Laden die?
The question of whether or not Osama bin Laden is dead or alive is not an issue. Almost everyone agrees he’s dead. The question is when did he die? The most prevalent view among researchers of 9/11 is that Osama bin Laden probably died sometime in December 2001 of renal failure. This would have been around the time of the battle of Tora Bora.
David Ray Griffin believes that bin Laden died of kidney failure or complications from it on December 13, 2011.15
On December 26, 2001, Fox News, citing an unnamed source, reported that bin Laden had died of lung complications and was buried at Tora Bora, following a funeral attended by family members and close associates.16
Six months after 9/11, President Bush made an unusual statement about Osama bin Laden. When questioned during a press conference on March 13, 2002, about catching bin Laden, President Bush said matter-of-factly, “I really just don’t spend that much time on him, to be honest with you.” His rambling answer is quite revealing:
“QUESTION: Mr. President, in your speeches now, you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden. Why is that? Also, can you can tell the American people if you have any more information -- if you know if he is dead or alive. Deep in your heart, don't you truly believe that until you find out if he is dead or alive, you won't really want to make...
BUSH: Well, deep in my heart, I know the man's on the run if he's alive at all. And I -- you know, who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not? We hadn't heard from him in a long time.
And the idea of focusing on one person is really -- indicates to me people don't understand the scope of the mission. Terror's bigger than one person. And he's just -- he's a person who has now been marginalized. His network is -- his host government has been destroyed. He's the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match.
He is -- you know, as I mention in my speeches -- I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to commit youngsters to their death. And he, himself, tries to hide, if, in fact, he's hiding at all.
So I don't know where he is. Nor -- you know, I just don't spend that much time on him really, to be honest with you. I'm more worried about making sure that our soldiers are well supplied, that the strategy is clear, that the coalition is strong, that when we find enemy bunched up, like we did in Shah-e-Kot mountains, that the military has all the support it needs to go in and do the job, which they did.
And there will be other battles in Afghanistan. There's going to be other struggles like Shah-e-Kot. And I'm just as confident about the outcome of those future battles as I was about Shah-e-kot, where our soldiers are performing brilliantly; we're tough, we're strong, they're well-equipped, we have a good strategy. We are showing the world we know how to fight a guerrilla war with conventional means.
QUESTION: Do you believe the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead of alive?
BUSH: As I say, we hadn't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, you know, again, I don't know where he is.
I'll repeat what I said: I truly am not that concerned about him. I know he is on the run. I was concerned about him when he had taken over a country. I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban.
But, you know, once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became -- we shoved him out more and more on the margins.
He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore. And if we find a training camp, we'll take care of it -- either we will or our friends will. That's one of the things that's part of the new phase that's becoming apparent to the American people is that we're working closely with other governments to deny sanctuary or training or a place to hide or a place to raise money. And we got more work to do.
See, that's the thing the American people have got to understand -- that we've only been at this six months. This is going to be a long struggle. I keep saying that. I don't know whether you all believe me or not. But time will show you that it's going to take a long time to achieve this objective.”17
Bush’s indifference about catching Osama bin Laden was shared by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Air Force General Richard B. Myers. On April 6, 2002 he stated, “The goal has never been to get bin Laden.”18
Also it’s interesting to note that Alec Station, the CIA’s special unit dedicated to tracking Osama bin Laden, ceased operations in 2005.19
Osama’s History of Illness
On July 12, 2001, two months before 9/11, bin Laden was being treated for acute renal failure at the American Hospital in Dubai. According to the French journal, La Figaro, and Radio France, he met with the CIA’s attache, Larry Mitchell.20
Following these meetings, President Bush was briefed at his ranch in Crawford, Texas by CIA Director George Tenet. The title of the briefing was “Bin Laden determined to strike in the US.”21
According to CBS News with Dan Rather, bin Laden was also being treated at a Pakistan Military Hospital in Rawalpindi, Pakistan on September 10, 2001, one day before 9/11.22
Osama Identified by Facial Recognition and DNA
According to Brennan, Osama bin Laden’s identity was positively verified by statements from his wives, a DNA sample taken from his corpse and by facial recognition software of a photo of his body taken by Navy SEALs using a camera phone and uploaded to CIA headquarters. Of course, since no corpse is available for independent verification, we have to take the government at their word that they actually killed the right person.
Considering all the well-publicized cases of mistaken identity with death row inmates, this is one of the troubling aspects of President Obama’s openly proclaimed policy of extra-judicial assassination. This is a policy which first began during the Bush Administration, although other presidents have exercised similar prerogatives in secret. Under it, enemy combatants, including American citizens, can be executed on the President’s say-so without the right to a trial or appeals process.23 Although the courts have turned a blind eye to this egregious and immoral policy, it is clearly a violation of the spirit and intent of the Bill of Rights and international law.
Originally, television reports on Sunday claimed that Osama bin Laden’s DNA had been matched to a sister who had died of cancer at Boston General Hospital awhile back. The hospital later issued a statement that it had no record of providing the government with her DNA samples.24 Later, government officials, without being specific, claimed that DNA samples from multiple relatives were used to positively identify Osama bin Laden’s body. Whose DNA was tested? What was the chain of custody of bin Laden’s DNA? Without a body or knowledge about the chain of custody of bin Laden’s DNA, there is no way to verify that the government is telling the truth.
Also troubling was the fact that facial recognition was conducted after the killing. What if they had made a mistake? Would they have told us? Allegedly photo recognition software gave the images a 95 percent rate of match.25 Considering all the various images purported to be Osama bin Laden, one question we should all be asking is which one of Osama bin Laden’s many faces did the software match?
Until President Obama decides to release Osama bin Laden’s death photos, we have no way of knowing.
The Many Faces of Osama bin Laden
Some of the many images of Osama bin Laden. The third picture on the top row is a composite photo created by the FBI for use by the State Department to show what bin Laden might look like after aging. It was created by morphing the photo of a Spanish politician with that of Osama bin Laden.
Left is a picture of Osama bin Laden taken in 1998. The middle image is a morphed image of bin Laden and Spanish Communist Party leader Gaspar Llamazareson, shown on the left. The image was created by the FBI for use by the State Department to show what he might look like after againg.26
Bin Laden allegedly watching himself on television. A neighbor living near the compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan claims this individual is a man named Akhbar Han, not bin Laden.
“Grecian Formula” Bin Laden, before and after.
Above is an image of Emanuel Goldstein, a character in George Orwell’s 1984. 27
Osama bin Laden has often been compared to the fictional character in Orwell’s dystopian novel about a totalitarian police state. Is 1984 what America has become?
In Osama Bin Laden, Dead or Alive? David Ray Griffin argues that the various video and audio tapes that purported to have been made by Osama bin Laden after 2001, were fakes created by the intelligence community to keep the War on Terror going.28
As we all know, war is big business. The War on Terrorism generates billions of dollars a year for the defense establishment and provides the pretext for preemptive wars and the ever greater expansion of governmental authority.
After 2007, no more videos of Osama bin Laden appeared until the raid on his alleged compound in Abbottabad. The only tapes released after 2007 were audios of dubious credibility. The videos that appeared after 2001 were mostly still images with a sound track included. This made it impossible to determine when the video portions were actually filmed.
In the various videos that have been released over the years, different actors appear to be portraying Osama bin Laden. There was the fat bin Laden seen confessing to 9/11, the haggard bin Laden with long gray beard, and the Grecian formula bin Laden with a neatly trimmed beard dyed shoe polish black.
Images of fat bin Laden shown in the “Confession” Video, allegedly retrieved by U.S. troops after the capture of Jalalabad, Afghanistan in 2001.
The confession video that was allegedly discovered by U.S. troops following the occupation of Jalalabad, Afghanistan in December of 2001, depicts a heavy set individual purported to be bin Laden bragging to al Qaeda comrades about “staging” the 9/11 attacks. In the video bin Laden is seen writing with his right hand. The real Osama bin Laden, according to the FBI, was left handed.29
The elderly gentleman shown watching TV in one of the videos retrieved from the Abbottabad compound has since been identified by a neighbor as Akhbar Han, the owner of the compound.30 (See figure 6.) If Akhbar doesn’t turn up soon, we can guess who’s really “swimming with the fishes.”
Osama bin Laden video released in 2004 three days before the Presidential Election.
In 2004, three days before the Presidential Election between George W. Bush and John Kerry, an Osama bin Laden video conveniently surfaced. It was credited with giving President Bush a six-point lead over Kerry.31
Was the CIA behind creating this video, perhaps as a favor to Dubya’s former CIA director dad?
CIA Admits faking Osama bin Laden Videos
According to Jeff Stein of the Washington Post, the CIA did admit to creating other phony bin Laden videos along with ones of Saddam Hussein. One of their videos that never was publicized depicted Osama bin Laden as gay and sitting around a campfire drinking alcohol.32
Was this admission a limited hangout to cover for other phony bin Laden videos purported as real?
Satellite Dish Mysteriously Appears on Side of Compound Following the Raid
After photos were released of “Osama bin Laden” watching television via satellite, there was one problem, there was no satellite dish near the compound. That was soon remedied.
Image alleged to be Osama bin Laden in compound watching Television via satellite.
Photo taken after the raid, notice the absence of a satellite dish on the side of the building.
Abracadabra—a satellite dish appears days later to the right of the building.
Bin Laden Family
Statements from the bin Laden family need to be scrutinized carefully. The bin Ladens have maintained close ties to the Bush family for years. Osama’s older brother, Salem, was an investor in George W. Bush’s company, Arbusto Energy. On 9/11, Osama’s other brother, Shafig bin Laden, was present at a conference for the Carlyle Group in Washinton, D.C. that included among its guest list, former President George Herbert Walker Bush.
After 9/11 when all flights in the United States were grounded, the Bush Administration allowed bin Laden family members and other prominent Saudis to fly out of the country, thereby sparing them extensive questioning by FBI investigators.
In this light, statements made by Osama’s son Omar, criticizing the U.S. for killing his father, need to be examined carefully. Although seemingly critical of the U.S., Omar’s statement also gives credence to the claim that Osama bin Laden was killed at the compound, during the raid. Omar is the fourth son of bin Laden’s first wife, Syrian born Najwa Ghamen. Omar’s statement was made over an Islamist website being monitored by SITE Intelligence Group.33
Omar, in the past, has stated that he believes his father ordered the attacks of 9/11. He is married to a British woman, Zaina Mohamed Al-Sabah, formerly Jane Felix-Browne.
The Real House Wives of Abbottabad
Other than DNA and facial recognition, the other evidence identifying Osama bin Laden came from interrogations of his three wives said to have been living at the compound along with several children.
Bin Laden has been married six times, although one of the marriages ended in divorce and another marriage was annulled shortly afterwards.
Bin Laden’s Wives listed in order of their marriages:
- Najwa Ghamen, mother of Omar (Married 1974)
- Khadijah Sharif (Married 1983, Divorced 1990s)
- Khairiah Sabar, mother of Hamza (Married 1985)
- Shiman Sabar, mother of Khalid (Married 1987)
- Marriage to unidentified woman in Khartoum (Annulled)
- Amal al-Sadah (Married 2000)34
There are a number of oddities regarding the story about the wives in the compound.
As noted earlier, Deputy National Security Advisor John Brennan stated that Osama bin Laden had been “cowardly,” using one of his wives as a human shield and that they both were killed during a firefight. Later it was admitted that bin Laden had been unarmed and had not used his wife as a human shield. It was claimed that another man had used another woman as human shield and that both of them had been killed along with bin Laden’s courier and one of his sons. Accounts of which son was killed have been conflicting. Various reports have described the son as either Hamza or Khalid.
After the raid, Reuters released some gruesome photos of three dead men lying in pools of blood, killed in or around the compound.35 There were no photos of a woman killed.
According to Politico, two women had been injured during the raid and a third woman who was used as a human shield was killed during the alleged firefight.36
One of the women injured was Osama’s youngest wife Amal, who was said to have been wounded in the calf while lunging at the commandos. She was taken away before Osama was killed. Her daughter, Safiyah, variously described as 11, 12, and 13 years old claims to have witnessed his capture and execution.37
Who was the other woman injured and who was the woman killed?
According to the London Telegraph, there were nine women and twenty-three children living in the compound at the time of the raid.38 What was the world’s most wanted man, with a $25 million bounty on his head, doing living with so many women and children? It doesn’t make sense; nor, do other aspects of the story.
Why were bin Laden’s wives not taken into custody by the Navy SEALs? If they had room for a “treasure trove” of documents and videos said to have been retrieved from the compound, why not room for key witnesses. Why were they left behind to be taken into custody by Pakistani authorities?
It’s curious that when U.S. investigators were finally allowed by Pakistani officials to interrogate the women, who were identified as: Kariah Sabar, Siham Sabar and Amal al-Sadah, a member of Pakistan’s ISI was present in the room at all times. Also, only one of the women actually spoke to American investigators. She was Kariah Sabar, also known as Umm Hamza (the mother of Hamza), the oldest of the three wives.39 Why weren’t American interrogators allowed to speak to all the women?
According to Lawrence Wright in The Looming Tower, Al-Qaeda and The Road to 9/11, Umm Hamza, who was seven years older than Osama, has a PhD in Child Psycology and has taught at King Abdul Aziz University in Saudi Arabia. She is said to be a descendant of the prophet Mohamed.40
She and wife number two, Khadija Sharif are often confused with one another in various accounts, making it difficult to determine which is which.
Strangely, no pictures of either Khairiah Sabar or Siham Sabar have been released since the raid. The only photograph of any of the wives shown to the public is that of Osama’s youngest wife Amal, from a passport photo.
Amal is said to have married Osama bin Laden in 2000, shortly before 9/11. Her current age is variously described as being 24, 26 or 29 years old, depending on who you read. Time states her current age as 24.41 The same Time article, which lists her current age as 24, says that she was 19 when she fled Afghanistan after 9/11. That would make her at least 29 years old. (Ibid.) Was this a typo? MSNBC also claims she is 24 years old and that she and Osama had their first child in 2002.42 If the child in question was her daughter Safiyah, that would make the child only 9 years old, not a teenager as described by various news sources.
When it comes to government accounts of what happened, fuzzy math abounds. Almost every aspect of the “Osama” killing is clouded with confusion and inconsistency. Is this all just an accident?
Was there a firefight at the compound?
During his May 1st address to the nation, President Obama stated that bin Laden had been killed during a firefight at the compound. He didn’t elaborate. The following day ABC News reporter Brian Ross appeared on The View hosted by Barbara Walters to discuss the raid on bin Laden’s compound. On a large screen he presented an animated simulation of the firefight, showing multiple shooters firing on the commandoes from inside the compound.
While a television network such as ABC certainly has the capability to produce a slick graphic of this sort overnight, it’s interesting that the presentation was ready on such short notice for the following morning. After all, the President had made his announcement late the night before.43
As to the firefight, the White House would correct itself once again by stating that there had been no firefight. The battle had been extremely one-sided, with only one person firing on the SEALs from and adjacent guest house. The man said to have been firing on the SEALs was bin Laden’s alleged courier, a man identified as Ahmed Al-Kuwaiti. He and his wife were killed. The other men shot were unarmed.44 If this version is true, then that would explain who the dead woman was.
Right on cue as usual, Al Qaeda issued a communiqué in which they verified the death of Osama bin Laden. The communiqué was issued over terrorist websites according to SITE Intelligence Group.45
SITE, which is an acronym for Search for International Terrorist Entities, mysteriously always knows where to look for terrorist messages.
SITE was founded by Rita Katz., a former Iraqi of Jewish descent, who is fluent in Arabic. Her father was executed by Saddam Hussein on suspicion of spying for Israel. After her father’s death, her family escaped Iraq and resettled in Israel. Katz is a veteran of the Israeli Defense Force and is a graduate of the University of Tel Aviv. She is currently an American citizen, residing in the United States.46
Rita Katz, Executive Director of SITE Intelligence Group.47
Most Americans would be surprised to know that Al Qaeda has historically been an ally and not an enemy of the United States. Al Qaeda fought alongside the CIA and NATO in such disparate battlegrounds around the world as: Afghanistan, Chechnya, Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo, Iran, and currently Libya.48 Was Al Qaeda also working for the CIA on 9/11?
Shortly after revealing that “Al Qaeda” was the CIA’s name for their database of Mujahideen fighters, former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook died of a heart attack while hiking with his wife in Scotland.49 He had earlier resigned his post in opposition to Tony Blair’s support for the War in Iraq. Although there was no evidence of foul play, in light of the suspicious death of Dr. David Kelly, one has to wonder.50
Were any Americans killed during the raid?
According to President Obama no Americans were killed in the raid; however; one of the four helicopters, used in the raid, stalled and crashed outside bin Laden’s compound. Rather than let it fall into the wrong hands, the SEALs are said to have blown it up.
That was the official version. There is another account provided by a nearby neighbor named Mohammed Bashir, who claims to have witnessed the raid from his rooftop.
According to Bashir, who gave his account to a reporter from Pakistan’s Samaa TV, shortly after midnight, men exited the helicopter and went into the compound. After a few minutes, the men returned from the compound and began boarding the helicopter when it exploded. Bashir said the men were speaking Peshtu, an Iranian dialect spoken in Afghanistan. If this account is true, it’s not clear who these men were or if any Americans were with them.51
Was Pakistan Secretly Involved in the Raid?
Were the Pakistanis in on the raid from the beginning? President Obama alluded to this in his May 1st address, stating that, “[I]t's important to note that our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding.”52
According to a story carried by the New York Times, the day after President Obama’s speech, the Pakistanis were kept in the dark about the raid. The commandos were to get in and out before the Pakistanis “detected the breach of their territory.”53
Following the raid the Pakistani government issued a warning to the United States threatening “disastrous consequences” if it carried out any more “unauthorized” raids into Pakistani territory.54
As a further sign of indignation over the raid, Pakistan’s intelligence service, the ISI, issued a statement that they would cease sharing intelligence with the United States.55
Following this alleged break with the U.S., there was a high profile incident on May 17th, in which a NATO helicopter was fired on by Pakistani soldiers at a border post along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. The NATO helicopter returned fire and two Pakistani soldiers were injured.56 The incident took place the day after Senator John Kerry met in Islamabad with Pakistan’s Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani.
In the past, Pakistani officials have publicly condemned U.S. incursions into their country and the loss of civilian life, resulting from U.S. drone strikes. Much of this outrage is feigned for public consumption inside Pakistan. Privately, the leadership from both countries have worked closely together.57
This may have been the case with the raid on Osama’s compound. According to China’s Xinhua News Agency, the Pakistanis were in on the raid from the very beginning. Xinhua claims that the Pakistanis were responsible for cutting electricity to the compound and for cordoning off the area around the compound before the attack occurred.58
Considering that Abbottabad is only about 50 kilometers from Pakistan’s capital of Islamabad and is home to the Kakul Military Academy, Pakistan’s version of West Point, it seems highly improbable that President Obama would risk such a mission without prior approval from the Pakistani government.
The Navy Seals might be tough hombres, but even they aren’t tough enough to fight their way out of the heart of Pakistan with only 79 men. That sort of thing only happens in Rambo movies or government accounts.
The Demise of Liberty
The killing of “Osama bin Laden” came at an opportune time for the President. His poll numbers were at an all time low, resulting from high gasoline prices and an anemic economy. Only a week earlier, thanks to public criticism from Donald Trump, he had been forced to release his long-form birth certificate, something he had refused to do throughout the 2008 Presidential Campaign.
With his announcement about the killing of Osama bin Laden, his poll numbers shot up by 13 percent, with 69 percent of Americans confident that he can “keep the nation safe.”59
Beyond giving his campaign for reelection a boost, the raid on bin Laden’s compound conveniently coincided with pending legislation to renew the USA PATRIOT Act for another four years. Following the incident at Abbottabad, the measure passed both houses of Congress and was signed into law by President Obama, using an autopen, while he was visiting France.
The Patriot Act wasn’t the only draconian legislation being proposed in the wake of Osama’s alleged killing. Following revelations that bin Laden had been planning to derail passenger trains in the United States for the tenth anniversary of 9/11, Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer of New York proposed legislation to create a no-ride list similar to the existing no-fly list for Amtrak passengers.60
If anyone thought the killing of Osama bin Laden would bring and end to the war on terror, they were sadly mistaken.
Just as the burning of the Reichstag ushered in an era of fascism in Germany, 9/11 has been the catalyst for preemptive wars, the evisceration of the Constitution and the establishment of an Orwellian police state in the United States. Unlike the death of Adolf Hitler, which gave closure to Europe at the end of World War II, the death of Osama bin Laden is only the beginning of America’s totalitarian descent. Since “Osama’s” death, the threat of terrorism remains ever present and the wars continue with no end in sight.
- “Karl Doenitz: Announcement of Hitler’s Death, May 1, 1945;” November 12, 2008; http://historicalresources.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/karl-doenitz-announcement-of-hitler%E2%80%99s-death-may-1-1945/ Most historians believe that Hitler committed suicide in his bunker the day before on April 30th as Soviet troops closed in. It wasn’t until the following day that the German people were informed of his death.
- “Full transcript of President Obama's speech announcing the killing of Osama Bin Laden;” May 2, 2011; http://www.rgj.com/article/20110501/NEWS12/110501019/Full-transcript-President-Obama-s-speech-announcing-killing-Osama-Bin-Laden?odyssey=nav%7Chead
- “‘Wag the Dog’ is a training film for the Obama White House;” May 9-10, 2011; http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/articles/20110508_1
- “The photographs tell the story…, Is This Media manipulation on a grand scale?” April 15, 2003; http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article2842.htm
- “U.S.: Osama used wife as human shield;” Kara Rowland; Monday, May 2, 2011; http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/2/us-osama-used-wife-human-shield/
- “White House changes Osama bin Laden account;” Josh Gerstein & Matt Negrin; May 3, 2011; http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54162.html
- “Osama bin Laden dead: Blackout during raid on bin Laden compound, The head of the CIA admintted yesterday that there was no live video footage of the raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound as further doubts emerged about the US version of events;” Steven Swinford; May 4, 2011; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8493391/Osama-bin-Laden-dead-Blackout-during-raid-on-bin-Laden-compound.html
- Op cit. 7
- “John Brennan and Bush’s interrogation/detention policies;” Glenn Greenwald; Sunday, November 16, 2008; http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2008/11/16/brennan And John Brennan isn’t the only senior Obama Administration official to be intimately involved in the extraodinary rendition program. Contrary to popular misconception rendition and torture did not begin under President Bush as a response to 9/11. It began during the Clinton Administration prior to 9/11. According to Wayne Madsen, Obama’s Attorney General, Eric Holder, and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta were responsible for signing off on the CIA’s extraordinary rendition program with Egypt when they worked for the Clinton Administration. Holder was Deputy Attorney General under Janet Reno and Panetta was White House Chief of Staff at the time. The first person to be renditioned and tortured was Talaat Fuad Qassim. He was sent to Egypt in a crate and later died under torture. http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/articles/20110203
- “Osama Bin Laden Dead: How One Phone Call Led U.S. To Bin Laden’s Doorstep;” Adam Goldman and Matt Apuzzo; May 2, 2011; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/osama-bin-laden-dead-one-phone-call_n_856674.html And “September 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed ‘waterboarded 183 times’;” April 20, 2009; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6130165.ece
- “Interview with Terror Expert Ron Suskind, ‘The President Knows more than He Lets on’;” October 27, 2006; http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,445117,00.html
- “Media Runs Fake Photo To Illustrate Bin Laden Death Propaganda;” Paul Joseph Watson; May 2, 2011; http://www.prisonplanet.com/media-runs-fake-photo-to-illustrate-bin-laden-death-propaganda.html
- “Faked bin Laden photo dupes Brown, Hoax pictures also fooled other senators;” Michael Levenson; May 5, 2011; http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/05/05/senator_scott_brown_duped_by_bin_laden_photo/
- “Has Osama Bin Laden been dead for seven years – and are the U.S. and Britain covering it up to continue war on terror?” Sue Reid; September 11, 2009; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1212851/Has-Osama-Bin-Laden-dead-seven-years--U-S-Britain-covering-continue-war-terror.html
- “Report: Bin Laden Already Dead;” Wednesday, December 26, 2001; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html
- Transcript of Bush press conference;” Charles Pickering; March 13, 2002; http://articles.cnn.com/2002-03-13/politics/bush.transcript_1_votes-on-judicial-nominees-block-nominees-charles-pickering/6?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS
- “America’s ever-shifting attitude towards bin Laden tells us far more about the confused war on terror than about bin Laden himself;” Brendon O’Neill; April 25, 2002; http://www.cursor.org/stories/binladenforgotten.htm
- “C.I.A. Closes Unit Focused on Capture of bin Laden;” Mark Mazzetti; July 4, 2006; http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/washington/04intel.html
- “Transcript: Bin Laden determined to strike in the US;” April 10, 2004; http://articles.cnn.com/2004-04-10/politics/august6.memo_1_bin-conduct-terrorist-attacks-abu-zubaydah?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS And Despite this warning, which was kept secret for reasons of “National Security” from the American public following 9/11, the U.S. military and intelligence community ignored reported warnings from foreign governments, FBI field agents and left our nation’s air defenses on the east coast virtually undefended.
- “Where was Osama bin Laden on 9/11? Bush Administration knew the whereabouts of Osama;” Michel Chossudovsky; November 16, 2003; http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO311A.html
- “Deep Background – Assassinating Americans;” Philip Giraldi; March 28, 2010; http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=18369 And “Is Obama Continuing the Bush/Cheney Assassination Program?” Jeremy Scahill; July 15, 2009; http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=14382
- “DNA samples from relatives helped confirm identity yesterday;” Bryan Bender and Carolyn Y. Johnson; May 3, 2011; http://articles.boston.com/2011-05-03/news/29500055_1_dna-testing-dna-samples-bin
- “Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden;” Mark Mazzetti, Helene Cooper and Peter Baker; May 2, 2011; http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/03intel.html
- “Spanish Politician Threatens to Sue FBI Over Bin Laden Makeover;” Kurt Nimo; January 17, 2010; http://www.prisonplanet.com/spanish-politician-threatens-to-sue-fbi-over-bin-laden-makeover.html
- “Emanuel Goldstein;” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein
- “Osama bin Laden, Dead or Alive?” May 21, 2009; http://davidraygriffin.com/books/osama-bin-laden-dead-or-alive/
- “Was 9/11 an Inside Job?” Mark H. Gaffney; July 31st, 2008; http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/articles/20080731
- “That’s Not Osama bin Laden, That’s My Neighbour;” May 10, 2011; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixrT01Hnec
- “Bush takes a six-point lead after bin Laden tape;” Philip Sherwell; November 1, 2004; http://replay.web.archive.org/20081206183353/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1475515/Bush-takes-a-six-point-lead-after-new-bin-Laden-tape.html
- “CIA unit’s wacky idea: Depict Saddam as gay;” Jeff Stein, May 25, 2010; http://blog.washingtonpost.com/spy-talk/2010/05/cia_group_had_wacky_ideas_to_d.html
- “My father’s death was criminal and I may sue the U.S.: Bin Laden’s son slams Al Qaeda leader’s killing;” Daily Mail Reporter; May 11, 2011; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385714/Osama-Bin-Ladens-son-Omar-slams-Al-Qaeda-leaders-death-criminal-sue-US.html
- “Big love: bin Laden’s six wives;” Laura Rozen; May 12, 2011; http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theenvoy/big-love-bin-ladens-six-wives And “Osama bin Laden;” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osama_bin_Laden
- “Reuters photos of Dead;” http://cryptome.org/eyeball/reuters-dead/reuters-dead.htm
- “Official: 2 women injured in bin Laden raid not in US custody;” Josh Gerstein; May 2, 2011; http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0511/Official_2_women_injured_in_bin_Laden_raid_not_in_US_custody.html
- “’In Front of Her Eyes’: Osama bin Laden’s Teen Daughter Witnessed Death;” Jim Sciutto; May 4, 2011; http://abcnews.go.com/International/osama-bin-ladens-daughter-witnessed-death-pakistan-admits/story?id=13527830
- “Osama bin Laden ‘was not armed and did not use wife as human shield;’” Peter Foster; May 3, 2011; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8489658/Osama-bin-Laden-was-not-armed-and-did-not-use-wife-as-human-shield.html
- “U.S. Interrogated ‘Hostile’ Bin Laden Wives;” Robert Mackey; May 13, 2011; http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/13/u-s-interrogated-hostile-bin-laden-wives/
- “The Looming Tower, Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11;” Lawrence Wright; Alfred A. Knopf; New York; 2006; pp. 81-82.
- “The Real Housewife of Abbottabad: What bin Laden’s Spouse Knows; Tim McGirk; May 6, 2011; http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2069934,00.html
- “Bin Laden family split over divorce?” Robert Windrem; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22768778/
- “Brian Ross’ ‘View’ of Osama Bin Laden’s Death, ABC News’ chief investigative correspondent details the terrorist’s takedown;” May 2, 2011; http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/video/brian-ross-view-osama-bin-ladens-death-13509897
- “There Was No Firefight, Only one person was armed in Osama in Laden Compound; Mary Papenfuss; May 5, 2011; http://www.newser.com/story/117881/there-was-no-firefight.html And “Osama Bin Laden Killing Was ‘Cold-Blooded,’ ‘One-Sided’ in New Versions of Raid Story;” Joe Coscarelli; May 5, 2011; http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/05/osama_bin_laden_raid_story.php
- “Al Qaeda Confirms Bin Laden’s Death;” Elizabeth A. Harris; May 6, 2011; http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/world/asia/07qaeda.html
- “Private Jihad, How Rita Katz got into the spying business;” Benjamin Wallace-Wells; May 29, 2006; http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/05/29/060529fa_fact?currentPage=1
- “About SITE – Rita Katz;” http://news.siteintelgroup.com/about-site
- “The CIA’s Libya Rebels: The Same Terrorists who Killed US, NATO Troops in Iraq;” Webster G. Tarpley; March 24, 2011; http://tarpley.net/2011/03/24/the-cia%E2%80%99s-libya-rebels-the-same-terrorists-who-killed-us-nato-troops-in-iraq/ And “Al Qaeda Involvement in Europe;” Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_involvement_in_Europe
- “The struggle against terrorism cannot be won by military means;” July 8, 2005; http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jul/08/july7.development And “Robin Cook—The Convenient Heart Attack;” T. Stokes; October 18, 2010; http://wideshut.co.uk/robin-cook-the-convenient-heart-attack/
- “Dr. Kelly WAS murdered and there has to be a new inquest, say six top doctors;” Tim Shipman; December 5, 2009; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1233330/Dr-David-Kelly-Six-doctors-demand-inquest-death-weapons-expert-prove-murdered.html#ixzz0YoSUFQnv And Interestingly, Robin Cook’s death by heart attack was similar to the death of British Labor leader, John Smith. Like Cook, Smith suffered a heart attack. He was 55 years old. His death helped pave the way for Tony Blair’s eventual leadership of the Labour Party. Smith was alone with his wife at the time of his death. The Baroness Smith is suspected of working for British intelligence. During the 1960s she worked for Fitzroy Maclean, the real-life model for Ian Fleming’s character, James Bond. If Al Qaeda bears a resemblance to the fictional trans-national criminal syndicate S.P.E.C.T.R.E, that may not be a coincidence. Baroness Smith served on the supervisory board of the British private intelligence firm Hakluyt. Another Hakluyt board member was Frank Wisner, Jr., Obama’s envoy to Egypt. Wisner, Jr. who is married to Christine de Ganay, the stepmother of French President Nicolas Sarkozy, was on the boards of directors for Kroll Associates and its parent company AIG at the time of 9/11. Kroll ran security for the World Trade Center. Another Hakluyt board member who was in Washington, D.C. on 9/11 was Tony Blair’s National Security Advisor, Sir David Manning. The day before 9/11 he had a meeting with Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage. Armitage and CIA Director George Tenet had traveled to Pakistan and India in the spring of 2001. General Mahmoud Ahmed’s visit to Washington, D.C. at the time of 9/11 was in response to the earlier visits by Tenet and Armitage. Indian Intelligence would later trace $100,000 wired to Mohamed Atta in Florida to General Ahmed, who on 9/11 was having breakfast with the chairmen of the Senate and House Intelligence Committees, Bob Graham and Porter Goss.
- “Abbottabad Neighbor Claims Bin Laden Raid Was Botched, Helicopter explosion killed numerous people involved in operation, Bashir tells Pakistani news channel;” Paul Joseph Watson; May 17, 2011; http://www.prisonplanet.com/abbottabad-neighbor-claims-bin-laden-raid-was-botched.html
- Op. cit. 2
- Op. cit. 25
- “Pakistan warns America not to stage any more raids;” Chris Brummitt; May 5, 2011; http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110505/D9N18J581.html
- “Osama bin Laden dead: angry Pakistan drops intelligence sharing with West;” Rob Crilly, May 14, 2011; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/8513920/Osama-bin-Laden-dead-angry-Pakistan-drops-intelligence-sharing-with-West.html?sms_ss=email&at_xt=4dcf3fab24065e0c,0
- “Tensions increase in Pakistan after NATO helicopter injures two soldiers in attack on Afghan border;” Daily Mail Reporter; May 17, 2011; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387949/Pakistan-Nato-helicopter-injures-2-soldiers-attack-Afghan-border.html
- “Top Pentagon Official in Surprise Visit to Pakistan;” Salmon Masood and Graham Bowley; September 16, 2008; http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/world/asia/17pstan.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
- “Did Osama raid signal a shift in Pakistan’s military?” Jason Overdorf; May 6, 2011; http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/bric-yard/did-osama-raid-signal-shift-pakistans-military
- “Obama Gets Massive 13 Point Bounce From Contrived Bin Laden Raid;” Paul Joseph Watson; May 11, 2011; http://www.infowars.com/obama-gets-massive-13-point-bounce-from-contrived-bin-laden-raid/
- “Sen. Schumer calls for Amtrak ‘no ride list’ in wake of terror plot;” May 8, 2011; http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/sen_schumer_calls_for_amtrak_terror_CaUbxQPY9MzpXzpZXq8HyK